NOTE: This post contains affiliate links to products I regularly use and love. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
A vibrant spinach salad inspired by Spring!
Fresh. Fresh. And…FRESH! It’s a plate that perfectly depicts the season of growth and renewal. This spinach salad screams, “Every part of me was just harvested, plated, and dressed for your pleasure, health, and wellness!”
This spinach salad is loaded with fresh greens, tart green apple, peppery celery, crunchy walnuts, and sweet cranberries. And guess what? The dressing includes only two ingredients: (1) Your favorite vinaigrette and (2) a hearty dollop of applesauce. Voila! Apple vinaigrette.
What makes this spinach salad zesty?
Spinach and green apple are both pretty mild in taste (with the exception of the inadmissible tartness of the green apple, of course). But when they are paired with the peppery flavors of arugula and celery, it’s like WHAM! That’s what I call green apple! Somehow, the contrast enhances mild flavors and evenly mellows stronger flavors. I promise…this salad may look like rabbit food but it totally delivers on taste!
What you need to make it: Ingredients & Tools
Gather together some fresh produce, a few pantry items, and some practical tools to make your zesty spinach salad in minutes!
- Fresh baby spinach
- Fresh baby arugula
- A green apple
- A celery stalk
- A scallion
- Shelled walnuts
- Dried cranberries, reduced sugar
- A vinaigrette of your choice (Girard’s Champagne Vinaigrette was used)
- Unsweetened applesauce
- Cutting board
- Sharp knife
- Serving plate or bowl
- Mini prep bowls to organize your mise en place (optional)
- A sauce cup for the dressing (optional)
How to make an instant apple vinaigrette
It’s simple. All you need is a vinaigrette of your choice and some applesauce. Literally. That’s all you need! I’ve made this salad numerous times and have tried it with both Italian and champagne dressing.
However, I am partial to Girard’s dressings. Their champagne dressing is zesty but mildly sweet at the same time. And when you add just a little applesauce, it gives it that subtle delicious apple essence while maintaining the best elements of the salad dressing. It’s a customized dressing in a matter of seconds!
Pin this Recipe
More refreshing salad recipes
- Tuna & Avocado Salad with Sesame Honey Maple Dressing
- Warm Roasted Veggie Salad with Basil Oil
- Veggie Quinoa Bowl
- Stacked Tuna Poke Bowl
- Tostada Brunch Bowl
Watch how to make this quick & easy spinach salad recipe
- 1 ½ cups fresh baby spinach
- ½ cup fresh baby arugula
- ½ green apple, thinly sliced
- ½ celery stalk, thinly sliced
- 1 scallion, sliced
- 2 tbsp shelled walnuts, chopped*
- 2 tbsp dried cranberries, reduced sugar*
- 2 tbsp vinaigrette of your choice (Girard's Champagne Vinaigrette* was used)
- 1 tbsp unsweetened applesauce*
- Make the salad. On a large serving plate, layer the greens, apple, celery, and remaining Salad toppings.
- Make the dressing. In a sauce cup or small bowl, add your vinaigrette of choice and a dollop of applesauce. Stir to combine.
- Dress the salad. Drizzle the salad with the salad dressing. Bon appetite!
*See product recommendations below.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 293Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 350mgCarbohydrates: 40gFiber: 10gSugar: 21gProtein: 5g
The nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used. I am not a doctor, nor a certified nutritionist and make no claims to the contrary. Each individual’s dietary needs and restrictions are unique to the individual. You are ultimately responsible for all decisions pertaining to your health. Please consult your personal physician with any questions you may have regarding your own health and diet.