Enjoy a lighter BLT with these lettuce wraps
Summer is just around the corner! It’s time to enjoy this sunny season with a slightly lighter version of the classic BLT. These quick and easy lettuce wraps are layered with rich beef bacon and avocado that is balanced with fresh tomato, arugula, and zippy feta. I like to season them with some of the bacon drippings, red wine vinegar, and Canadian steak seasoning (which has some dill in it). It’s great to serve at a picnic or potluck for everyone to grab, roll up, and get their crunch on!
Why beef bacon vs. pork bacon?
As we all know, the classic BLT is typically made with pork bacon. However, I am exceptionally partial to beef bacon which I consider to be an equally delicious and relatively healthier alternative. Here’s why:
|PORK BACON (2 slices)||BEEF BACON (2 Slices)|
|70 calories||60 calories|
|6 g total fat||4.5 g total fat|
|260 mg sodium||230 mg sodium|
|4 g protein||6 g protein|
|Pigs will eat ANYTHING! |
Including trash (Eww!)
|Cows are much more selective, |
sticking to grains & plants. (Ahh!)
As you can see, beef bacon has fewer calories, fat, and sodium, but a bit more protein for all you keto-dieters out there (wink, wink). Not to mention, we are what we eat and I just don’t want to make a habit of eating things that eat trash. We can do better!
Do you prefer non-meat bacon options?
VEGETARIAN: Try these super crispy when fried MorningStar Farms Veggie Bacon Strips – OR –
“DRIPPINGS”: Extra virgin olive oil will do just fine! If you want to achieve that smokey or cured flavor of bacon, just add a couple of dashes of liquid hickory smoke and liquid aminos or soy sauce.
Save those bacon drippings for more than lettuce wraps!
- Salad dressings and sauces
- Savory bean recipes (red beans & rice, black beans, etc.)
- Greens (collard, mustard, kale, etc.)
- Baked goods (cornbread, biscuits, cookies, etc.)
More lettuce-worthy recipes (click the links below)
- Zesty Green Apple & Celery Spinach Salad
- Tuna & Avocado Salad with Sesame Maple Dressing
- Warm Roasted Veggie Salad with Basil Oil
NOTE: All product reviews and recommendations are unpaid and unsponsored.
- 4 slices of Gwaltney Beef Bacon + the drippings
- Leafy lettuce of your choice, washed and patted dry (red leaf was used)
- 1 avocado, peeled and sliced
- 1 large tomato, sliced into rounds and halved
- 1/3 c baby arugula
- 1/4 c crumbled feta
- splashes of red wine vinegar
- 1 TB Canadian steak seasoning
- Cook the bacon according to the package instructions. Remove the slices onto a plate to cool slightly. Reserve the drippings.
- Layer the toppings. Arrange the lettuce leaves on a large plate or platter. Then, layer each one with a slice of bacon, a couple of avocado and tomato slices, and a sprinkle of arugula and feta cheese.
- Drizzle & season. Now it's time for the drippings! Scoop them up with a small spoon and drizzle over all of the lettuce wraps. Follow it up with a few splashes of red wine vinegar. Evenly sprinkle the steak seasoning all over the top of each wrap. All done and ready to crunch!
- Use any type of bacon you like. If you are watching your calories, go for uncured turkey bacon or a non-meat option that is salty and crisps well when cooked. (See blog post for a link to some great options.)
Substitutes for Bacon Drippings
- Extra virgin olive oil will do just fine! If you want to achieve that smokey or cured flavor of bacon, just add a couple of dashes of liquid hickory smoke and liquid aminos or soy sauce.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 215Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 27mgSodium: 469mgCarbohydrates: 8gFiber: 5gSugar: 2gProtein: 9g